Accused Shooter Of Kansas City Black Teen Will Face Two Felony Charges, Officials Announce

Share

The white man who is alleged to have shot and severely wounded unarmed black teenager Ralph Yarl when he accidentally rang his doorbell is facing two charges in a the case that sparked widespread outrage.

CNN reports that Andrew Lester, 84, has been charged with first-degree assault and an armed felony. District Attorney Zachary Thompson of Clay County, Missouri, announced the charges Monday night (April 17), adding that a warrant had been issued for Lester’s arrest.

Accused Shooter Of Kansas City Black Teen Will Face Two Felony Charges, Officials Announce

“I can tell you there was a racial component to this case,” Thompson said without giving any details.

Investigators allege Lester shot Yar on April 13 when the 16-year-old student went to the wrong house, mistaking 115th Porch for 115th Street, to pick up his younger siblings at a friend’s house.

Also, read; Kenya’s Evans Chebet wins 2nd straight Boston Marathon men’s title

Police responded to gunfire around 10 p.m. Yarl was taken to hospital with serious injuries but is now recovering at home.

At Monday’s news conference, Thompson said there was no evidence Lester and Jarrell spoke or that the teenager entered Lester’s home. Evidence indicates that Lester shot Jarl through a glass door with a .32 caliber handgun.

Accused Shooter Of Kansas City Black Teen Will Face Two Felony Charges, Officials Announce

Yarl told police he simply rang Lester’s doorbell and waited, according to CNN.

“(He) stated the male inside took a long time but finally opened the door holding a firearm. He stated he was immediately shot in the head and fell to the ground,” the detective writes.

The probable cause statement did not explain why investigators believed race was a factor in the shooting.

At the press conference, Thompson said hate crimes are low-level crimes in Missouri and could pose a double threat if added to the charges against Lester.

Read more

Local News