Easy Milk Tart Recipe
Milk tart otherwise known as Melktert is the most nourishing African dessert widely consumed in South Africa.
It is made with a sweet pastry crust known as pate sablée, a creamy milk combination that is almost like a pudding.
Milk tart can be distinguished by a straightforward milk custard on a sweet crust that lacks the usual flaky and airy texture.
The tart crust is more like a cookie-type of pastry.
Ingredients for milk tart
- A cup of flour
- A teaspoon baking powder
- a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 egg white
- A tablespoon of cinnamon sugar
- cooking spray
- white sugar
- melted butter
- 3 egg yolks
Instructions for pastry crust
- Butter or coat a 9-inch-deep dish pie plate with cooking spray, while doing that, pre heat the oven.
- In your food processor, add flour, salt, butter, and sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Then go in with egg yolk and mix properly as well.
- Take out the dough, knead it properly and place the dough in the pie pan.
- After that, place the dough in the freezer and leave for about 30 minutes.
- Place the dough in the heated oven and bake for 25 minutes, by then the crust should be golden brown.
Instruction for milk filling
- In a heated saucepan, add butter, nutmeg and milk and boil for a few minutes.
- In another bowl, add flour, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla and whisked egg. Mix together until there are no lumps in it.
- Add the flour and cornstarch mixture to the previously heated saucepan and heat for 5 minutes.
- When done, pour the mixture into the baked pastry.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on it and serve when cool.
African Diaspora9 hours ago
‘The Daily Show’s’ Roy Wood Jr. to Headline 2023 White House Correspondents’ Dinner
Africa9 hours ago
Ramaphosa assures Belgian King South Africa will continue to use its influence to end the Russia-Ukraine conflict
Africa10 hours ago