Zobo is a popular healthy drink that’s mostly consumed in West Africa.
It is produced from dried roselle or sorrel leaves (Hibiscus Sabdariffa).
Both on a daily basis and as a party refresher, people enjoy this tasty refreshing beverage. This beverage has a number of benefits, including being accessible, inexpensive with numerous health advantages.
For example, it can help in controlling blood pressure, lowering cholesterol, strengthening blood vessels, calming the nerves, reducing stress, promoting weight reduction, and enhancing sex desire.
Here’s a very easy process on how to prepare this drink at home.
Also read: 8 Popular African Non-alcoholic Drinks
- Zobo leaves
- fresh ginger
- Ripe pineapple
- Citrus of your choice (beetroot, orange, or lemon)
- Using cold water, rinse out the dirt from the zobo leaves.
- In a pot, add the washed leaves, citrus of your choice and water. Allow to boil for 40 minutes.
- Crush your cloves into a powder form.
- Wash your ginger, peel the skin and blend into a smooth paste.
- Then add your ginger paste and cloves into the pot and allow to boil until the leaves are soft.
- When the leaves are soft enough, turn off the fire and allow it cool completely.
- On the side, wash your pineapple and blend it.
- When you’re sure the zobo is totally cool, sieve out the leaves.
- Then add your pineapple juice into the zobo drink using a sieve.
- Add any citrus juice of your choice or artificial flavor if you wish.
- Pour into smaller bottles and refrigerate.