Akpessi is a known delicacy in Côte d’Ivoire. Normally eaten with boiled yam or plantain, this eggplant stew is also prepared with smoked fish and it can also be consumed without it if you are vegan.
- Thai Eggplant
- Garlic cloves
- Palm oil
- Laurel leaf
- Habanero pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper
Also read: How to Prepare Superkanja
- Cut the eggplant after peeling.
- In a pot, add water and cook the eggplant until it’s soft.
- Put the cooked eggplant, fresh tomatoes, and onion in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a dry pot, heat the oil.
- Add sliced onions to the hot oil and cook for two minutes.
- After your puree afterwards and cook until the water is dried.
- When the water is dried, add your washed and scrambled fish to the pot.
- Season to taste
- In a different pot, cook the plantain until it’s soft.
- When the plantain is cooked, serve with your eggplant sauce.